Monday, March 7, 2011

February low down

There is a lot of plastic in the world.  As the past month closed out, I got much better at getting rid of using plastic.  I had my occasional slip ups, but more times than not, I couldn't do much about it.  There were still instances when I would ask for water without a straw and the waitress would bring me a straw.  I guess I could have brought in my own water, but I didn't go hardcore about bringing my own drinks...maybe I should have.

One time, at the airport, I tried to do some homework and scout out places I could eat and not have to use plastic.  I found a mexican place that I could get with a paper boat to put my food in.  I asked the cashier to wrap my burrito in aluminum only without the plastic wrap.  I got my drink without a plastic lid or straw.  I was feeling pretty good about myself until i realized the only utensils they had were plastic.  After eating my burrito, I decided I would try to make my own spoon.  It actually worked out pretty well.

I was able to get rid of some more everyday plastic around the house.  I made my own toothpaste, so we don't have to buy the plastic tubes.  I haven't found any toothpaste in a metal tube.  I have a lot of friends suggesting Tom's of Maine and others, but I can't seem to find any toothpaste not in a plastic tube.  Even the aluminum tubes are lined with plastic on the inside with a plastic cap.

The toothpaste I made isn't fantastic by any means.  My wife noticed a peppermint smell the first time I brushed my teeth, but not since.  She says it doesn't smell bad, just not minty fresh.  My mouth feels clean afterwards, but it has a salty taste while I'm brushing.   The first time I brushed I was really surprised how salty it was, but when I rinsed my mouth I could really only taste peppermint.  The peppermint taste has gotten less and less since though.

The ingredients are:

1/4 cup baking powder
2 TBSP sea salt
2 TBSP peppermint extract

I think after this runs out I am going to give it another go, but I found a recipe with different extracts that also has a bit of hydrogen peroxide.

We also found All Natural Waxed Paper brand sandwich bags that are replacing our use of plastic ziploc bags.  We have also been using our glass jars to keep some of our pasta, trailmix, and nuts.  Now we don't have to buy these things in a plastic wrapped containers or bags.

This month I have also occasionally gone without anything to drink at a restaurant because I forgot to bring my own container and they only had plastic cups.  I had perused some stores for a no plastic water bottle, but outside buying a flask, I was again unable to find a non plastic alternative.  Every metal bottle I found had a plastic top.  I may still get one in the future, but I want to look around a little more to find one without plastic.

This month was definitely eye opening.  Its crazy how much plastic is wasted.  I think plastic definitely has its place.  Medical supplies and car parts are pretty crucial, but food gets a bit unnecessary.  This is another thing we are going to pay attention to, I hope I can get better and better with.

2 comments:

  1. DUDE, IT'S CRAZY TO FATHOM HOW MUCH PLASTIC IS WASTED! I reuse my ziploc bags by washing them.. keep on keepin on in your Journey!

    Peaceness all around.

    -Tags

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i didn't realize that plastic is everywhere. interesting.

    ReplyDelete