Friday, June 24, 2011

Environmental impact of driving

I found this website online and thought I would share.

http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/environment.asp

I figure that I travel roughly 70 miles per week between work and band practice.  This isn't accounting for any other driving I may do throughout the week.  Here is my environmental impact.



Total Hydrocarbons = 0.432 Lbs
Total Carbon Monoxide = 3.222 Lbs
Total Carbon Dioxide = 64.12 Lbs
Total Nitrous Oxide= 0.214 Lbs
Total Gas= 3.3 Gal



And my cost calculation:




I was actually shocked by this.  At first, I thought it seemed to steep, until I realized they took into account the cost of insurance and maintenance.  I can think of a lot of ways to spend some of that 300 bucks a month.

And my calorie calculation says I'm burning roughly 3136 calories per week.  I have to be burning more because I didn't take into account for any hills, plus there are some days that I run to/from work which is going to burn more calories.   For those of you that don't know, a pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories.  Not too shabby, although I have noticed I am eating more for dinner when I get home from my commute.

You should check out the site.  It's super easy and fast.  It's food for thought.  If you have a bike I highly recommend you give it a try.  I only have one week left, but I'm thinking about continuing biking/running to work a few times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment