Monday, February 24, 2014

This stuff can get complicated

I have already written about what drew me to studying more about Buddhism.  It seemed to make sense with how I saw the world.  As I was really getting into Buddhist principles, I started to remember the crazy stuff I had heard at Sunday school.  (I was definitely pissed over the whole Noahs Ark story for a while...I promise I'm all better now)  So here I am getting ready to jump into the Buddhist deep end when out of no where the "simple" stuff gets complicated.  Out of nowhere I'm blindsided with chanting, and reincarnation, wrestling with the idea of there being big-man-upstairs kind of god, and I did what any good little Buddhist wannabe does.  I read more, and the more I read the crazier the stories got. 

Finally I got to the point (I can't remember what book it was in) where I realized it was all just the finger pointing at the moon.  That's when I started to see the great things I loved about the Buddhist teachings were in the teachings I heard in Sunday school as a kid.  Unfortunately, at that time the stories never stuck. (which probably could have saved me a lot of stress and money growing up)  It helped to see how the Buddhist lineages were very similar to the different Christian denominations, and how the Buddhist stories were pointing to the same truth as the ones in the Bible.

Just as in other religions, Buddhism has its fair share of "denominations".  I am going to try to discuss two.  The major branches in Buddhism are the Theravada (school of the elders) and Mahayana (the great vehicle).

Theravada tradition:
More conservative and said to be the closest representation of early Buddhism. 
Nirvana is achieved through your own diligent work.
You seek nirvana for yourself to achieve enlightenment.
The purpose of life is to follow the Buddha's teachings until final enlightenment, in which you are never reborn into the world of suffering. (reincarnation until you become enlightened)
Will be reincarnated based on Karma, based on this, and previous, lifetimes.
Once you reach enlightenment...POW! that's it.

Seems gloomy, but the Theravadins eat that gloomy stuff up!  They believe when you can see the true nature of things there is nothing substantial left in the world.  And when that happens, don't let the door knob hit ya' son, it's time to peace out.  I feel like its similar to Christians realizing that, compared to heaven, there is really nothing remarkable here for us on Earth.

Mahayana tradition:
Seeks enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings, and to become a bodhisattva.
Bodhisattvas are people who right before achieving nirvana, stay here in this world to help all others become enlightened.
Infused with different cultural influences, while keeping the core teachings of the 4 noble truths and eightfold path.
There is a belief in reincarnation, but the interpretations are numerous and depend on the teacher
They believe all beings are Buddhas already, they just haven't awakened.
The goal of the bodhisattva is to help all others attain Buddhahood, which in turns opens them to the highest realization of the true nature of things.

More of a friends helping friends vibe, and I can dig that.  But helping people isn't just "it".  You still have to master the inner peace the Buddha found to help others in the best way possible.  That's why giving gifts can still lead to suffering.  If you give something and you expect something in return ( praise, money, benefits, happiness, forgiveness) you will likely find some negative Karma down the road when the outcome doesn't match your expectation.  But if you can find some inner peace and give something away without wanting anything in return...well my friends, that is when helping others truly helps you.  Trust me, you don't need to be enlightened to feel good giving gifts.  Giving just to give, and for no other reason, is good enough.

The type of Buddhism I have been following is Zen.  It is under the Mahayana umbrella, and it is one that I have seemed to stick with for a while now.  It's the most simplistic version that I have come across.  I get most of my understanding of Zen from the Vietnamese Zen Monk Thich Nhat Hahn.  (there are numerous reasons you should look into him).   If I have time, I will try to write a bit about Thich Nhat Hahns take on Zen.  He is a smart man and seems to have a great outlook on life.



1 comment:

  1. I wanna hear more about your views of Noahs Ark and Christianity... I have a feeling we have more in common than you realize my friend.

    ReplyDelete