Sunday, May 11, 2014

My understanding of Jesus

It was a nice run being Christian for the month.  I really found a new appreciation for some of the practices, some of the practitioners, and a few of the modern philosophical teachers.

What did I learn?  A lot.  Do I feel more like a Christian?  Yes and no.  On one hand, I learned a lot of valuable things, listened to a lot of inspiring sermons/teachings, and met some pretty impressive individuals.  On the other, I found my interpretation of this new information to distance me from the possibility of being a true Christian.  I can see the truth in the teachings, and I understand the importance Christianity has in the world, but I can't fully buy the notion Jesus is the only way.

My understanding of Jesus:
I understand the importance and significance of Jesus' role in Christianity, but I also understand everything we know about him was written by man.  It was interesting to read about the historical Jesus, and if you haven't done any research on the topic you might find it educational (no matter your religious leanings).  What I found most interesting was how the story of Jesus may have lead him to be the son of Christianity.  That may seem silly to you, but I was brought up with all the great stories about Jesus healing the sick and helping the poor.  I was taught what the gospels told us about Jesus, how he was man and God, how he died for our sins, how through his grace we could find our place in Heaven. 

The more I read about the history, surrounding the time and place of Jesus in the world, the more I started to find myself doubting.  I am not intending  to sway anyone's opinion on the subject.  I hope that if you are reading this as a Christian you do not get offended, just as I hope any non-believers reading this do not think I am championing any anti-Jesus message.  I do, however, feel like its important to hear multiple sides to a story and make your own opinions about the matter.

What new (for me) information caused me to doubt? 

For one, Pontius Pilate was a real dick. 

"Concerning Jesus’ executioner, Pontius Pilate, we have a considerable body of data that contradicts the largely sympathetic portrayal of him in the New Testament. Even among the long line of cruel procurators who ruled Judea, Pilate stood out as a notoriously vicious man. He eventually was replaced after murdering a group of Samaritans: The Romans realized that keeping him in power would only provoke continual rebellions. The gentle, kindhearted Pilate of the New Testament—who in his “heart of hearts” really did not want to harm Jesus is fictional. The New Testament depicts Pilate as wishing to spare Jesus from punishment, only to be stymied by a large Jewish mob yelling, “Crucify him.” The account ignores one simple fact. Pilate’s power in Judea was absolute. Had he wanted to absolve Jesus, he would have done so: He certainly would not have allowed a mob of Jews, whom he detested, to force him into killing someone whom he admired." (Joseph Telushkin. Jewish Literacy.)

Secondly, there are historians that claim the writers of those times often would describe people in ways that embellished ideals to portray a person.  For instance, my wife is an excellent mother.  So in those times I would have written a story about her taking in all the homeless children of Lexington,  feeding them all and becoming a mother to all of them.  The point is to explain that she is a loving mother, but the stories often times were skewed to make a point.  One author explained that this was not intentional, but just the way of the times.  So it is possible that some of the scriptural accounts about Jesus were dressed up a bit, to help get the point across. 

To be honest with you, I am completely ok with that.  It doesn't make the teachings less special, it doesn't make the truth less real, and it doesn't mean you can't use it to find whatever you are looking for.  The Jesus I read in the Bible was a spiritual superhero.  That dude was rad, and understood what it takes to live life (Unless, of course, your idea of having what it takes to live life includes living past 33).  It's sad to see being a good Christian sometimes comes down to saying you believe in a story about a man, written by men, that could never find words to reveal the true essence of what they were trying to describe.  When can we look past the notion that it has to be "this way" or "that way", and see that living the teachings is what makes you a good Christian?  Who knows, maybe I'm way off...the opposite of what you know as true can also be true.  Maybe you really can live your life selfishly and be saved by nothing other than asking for forgiveness.

Thirdly, I can't fully get behind the resurrection story.  Not because I believe it to be made up, but because I know it "could" be made up.  There are other parts of the bible I can't fully get behind either: People living 900 years, seven headed dragons (I've also read it as "beast"), Noahs Ark, Genesis...that'll do to make a point I suppose.  I've heard my problem is a lack of faith.  I would disagree.  I have faith that people who follow the teachings of the bible can make the world a much better place.  I found faith this month that many wise Christians are doing fantastic things in the world.  In fact, my faith in Christianity has probably never been higher than since I started reading C.S. Lewis and listening to the teachings of the retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu this month. 


So this is where I am at on the whole Jesus thing.
1.  He is possibly the son of God, though I'm not going to bet my life on it.
2.  We don't know as much about the historical Jesus as we think we do (at least I don't)
3.  His teachings seem legit.
4.  Following him with all of your heart will make the world a better place.
5.  He would be ashamed of what people have done in his name.

Feel like I'm missing something, or I am way off base? (there is so much more I didn't have time/room for)  Make a comment.  I love the discussions.






No comments:

Post a Comment