Wednesday, July 23, 2014

the happy and the homeless...sometimes one in the same.


Hello internet-land.  This month’s community focus is on homelessness.  I wanted to take a break from the understanding of religion for a bit and focus on another really important part of any community.  After digging into religion a bit more, I’m happy to be back to chopping wood and carrying water.  It’s nice to be able to put the purpose into practice more than the past few months of studying and listening.  After my time of trying to understand Christianity, I see a lot of similarities between it and Buddhism.  A common theme, is taking care of one another, and this month will put that to the test.

Side note: June was a really great month.  We were fortunate enough to be able to meet up with family and friends, and relax and explore Colorado and Utah.  I was really hoping to start my homeless focused month in June, but knew because of vacation I would have limited time to spend planning, participating, and helping.  So this month I decided to devote time to helping out the homeless, and others who need a little help.  I am hoping to be able to get some perspective by hanging out and visiting with my fellow Lexingtonians.  I hope to get some perspective on the different ways we can help the homeless in/around the neighborhood.

So far, the stories are usually sad, but sometimes really great.  I had lunch with a really nice guy, Tom, last week.  He cruises around town in a bicycle he converted to run on gasoline.  He helps support himself by playing an electric guitar with an amp ran off a 9V battery.  Tom has an excellent outlook on life, at least from what I can tell from our chat, despite the fact he has no place to call home.  When you think about the Toms in the world you have to really appreciate how lucky we are.   I never think twice about having enough to eat, where I am going to sleep, or how I am going to afford to get around town.  Yet I find myself getting frustrated at the little, insignificant things in life.  I’m sure Tom gets frustrated too, but here he is taking a beating from life and circumstances, all while managing to keep a big smile on his face.  High-five Tom, high five. (full disclosure:  Tom and I did not, in fact, high five....yet)

I’m glad to have met Tom to help remind me that despite all the shit life is giving us, we can still choose to smile.  I’m also reminded that some people have it really rough, and it’s our job to help bring them up.  Sometimes I can’t buy someone something to eat, but sometimes I can, so why not?  I’ve gone back and forth about the best way to “deal with homeless people”.  Should we give them money?  Will they spend it on booze?  We've all heard/said: I’m not going to give those lazy people any money! It’s a personal decision, but I keep coming around the fact that it’s not about what I think anyway, so just give if you can.  I can only help what I do, but I think food and clothes are basic things everyone should have.  Drunk or not, I can't think of anyone who doesn't deserve a healthy meal or some clean clothes every once in a while.

There are a lot of ideas about how I can help out this month.  I have started using my cup holder as my change-to-give-away holder.  I have actually seen the same guy quite a few times on my way home from work, and he seems appreciative every single time.  I feel bad because I always ask his name, but can never remember it…I can’t even think of it now.  But we usually have a little chat, and he has told me he can usually find a place to sleep at his friends, but uses the money for food.  I used to be cynical towards this type of situation.   I always “knew” that person was going to get drunk off my hard earned money.  Maybe this guy is doing the same thing, but maybe he isn’t.  Maybe he actually uses it to eat, and maybe he eats better than me, I know if it was me…I’d make sure I had enough to eat and THEN buy some beer.  But to each their own is how it goes.  So let me work on trying to be a better me.  And to do that, I need to get better at giving; I just gotta make sure to keep that judgement stuff at the door.

I’m excited about the new people I will meet along the way this month, and I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do to help a little more.  Tom told me about a guy in town who works as a pharmacist at the local hospital.  He picks up Tom and another half dozen people 2 Fridays a month and takes the group of guys to his house where they hold a bible study and he lets everyone shower at his house.  I’m so happy to have people like this living in town.  Fortunately, Tom was able to give me his number, and I hope he doesn't mind me hanging out some Friday.
 
Till next time kids.  If you think about it this month, do me a favor and try and give a smile or say "hi" to someone less fortunate.  I can't say how they will react, but I would bet if brightens your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment