Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Keeping it real (local)

Do you know how many local vendors there are in your town?  Me neither.  This month I intend to find out.  I hear a lot of buzz about buying local, and the importance of buying products from the good ole' USA.  I have to admit, I'm not sold American products are superior to those abroad, but I do realize there are a lot of good reasons to buy local products.  This month I intend on buying completely American made products.  Actually, I want to buy products made here in Lexington, Ky, but realize that may not be completely possible.

For starts, Nicki and I have enrolled in a community supported agriculture (CSA) program.  For those of you not familiar, we have paid a one time fee to a locally run farm outside of town and in return get a weekly box of their produce each week for the next 22 weeks.  Our local grocery coop also has clearly labeled foods/products that are made here in Kentucky, so we should be pretty set in the food department.  

I have some more research ahead of me, but I think this month is going to be another good learning experience.  I hope to blog a little more this month and keep updating our ongoings.

No comments:

Post a Comment