Monday, September 15, 2014

Don't believe everything you hear on TV

The wise ones say the opposite of what we know as true, is also the truth.  The proof is in the pudding, as they say.  I have been hearing a lot of news about the Islamic faith, and I have no idea where they are getting their information.  I don't mean to point fingers, as I'm pointing to the TV, but some people (politicians, people on the news, some Christian pastors), not going to say who, spew a lot of crazy speculative talk.  It's not for me to say if its sheer ignorance or out right lying, but it seems far from what I have found so far.

I started reading the Qur'an in August.  I was really excited about meeting with some members of the local masjid, but after a few unsuccessful tries, I decided to look into podcasts to get a pulse on the western styling's of Islamic faith.  Initially, the majority of the podcasts I found were in Arabic.  Many had English translations, but were hard to hear.  After some creative searching (and a few weeks), I finally found what I was looking for.  The one teaching I did follow for the whole month was no drinking...so it wasn't a total loss.  Sad to say, however, that this month I will be enjoying the sinful libations.  Mostly because water gets really old at band practice.  Because I blew half the month searching, I decided to give it some more time. So lets call September my actual month to learn about Islam.

Most of us know, not because we looked ourselves, that Islam is misogynistic.  We know how to pick them out in public because they are wearing a turban, and that they pray to a different God than we (read: Christians/Jews) do.

What you may not know is there are Islamic feminists and notable female scholars.  Did you also know that many religions (Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, and Islam) have denominations who wear turbans?  I didn't until a few minutes ago.  And as far as I can tell, Allah is the same God Christians and Jews pray to.

It'll be a quick one tonight kids, if my facts don't look right I hope you check it out for yourself.  And then again, the opposite of what you know is also true.

Khuda Hafiz friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment