Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Recipes


I thought I would share a couple of our favorite recipes of the past two weeks.  My favorite thus far is definitely the rustic pasta.  I think I could eat this nightly.  Anyway, I hope some of you try it.  If you do, leave a comment let me know what you think.

If any of you have any other good recipes, leave a comment and share.


Rustic Pasta

Serves 4 to 6

-1/4 pound pasta (Nicki and I used whole wheat fettucini)
-2 tbps olive oil
-2 large onions thinly sliced
-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
-2 celery stalks diced
-1/4 cup shoyu (type of soy sauce)
-1/2 tsp fine sea salt
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1 head of cabbage thinly sliced
(we used half of a cabbage because I don't like cabbage...turns out cabbage is really good with this recipe.  If you don't like cabbage, I'd still say you should try it and use a half a head of cabbage)
-5-6 tbps marinara sauce

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add the pasta; cook just until al dente. Drain the pasta
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions and cook for 7 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes longer, until the onions are transparent and turning golden.
Add the celery to the skillet and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the shoyu, salt, and garlic powder, then add the cabbage; saute for 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Add the pasta to the skillet with the marinara sauce and toss together. Cook over medium-high heat for a minute or two and serve.


Pecan Crusted Seitan


Note:  I wasn't sure if Seitan would fit into my diet, so we used 2 mahi mahi filets instead. It was fantastic.  Maybe the best fish we've ever made.  I have never had seitan, so I can't really comment on how it tastes.

Marinade3/4 c. tomato paste
1/4 c. umeboshi vinegar (we used ume plum vinegar since we couldn't find the original)
1/4 c. dry red wine (we left this out because we had no organic wine)
1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 c. shoyu
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. minced fresh tarragon or 1 tbsp. dried tarragon
2 tbsps. minced fresh rosemary (we had no rosemary so substituted oregano)


Combine all the ingredients for the marinade into a blender and blend until smooth.  Transfer the marinade to a shallow dish and add 8-10 pieces of seitan.  Turn to coat on all sides.  Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight or at least 3 hours.

When finished marinating, mix together 2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 cup ground pecans (I ground mind in a mortor and pestle.  A food processor would probably work well too.), and 2 tbsps. finely chopped rosemary in a shallow bowl.  Dredge the seitan in this mixture.

Heat 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a pan,  and add the seitan to the pan.  Saute until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. 



Another note: I royal suck and breading food and making it stay on.  Anyone have any good ideas.  most of the breading came off the fish when I flipped it.  After I cooked it, I just put it on top of the fish...still really good.




Happy eating kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment